Hello and welcome back. Today I have another review of a new product (at least for me). Soooo many people are talking about the Molotow masking pen and today I finally used it. I got it at Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon (still kind of pricey).
I wanted to create a pumpkin patch. Even though Halloween already passed, we still have fall 😉
I checked some “How-To’s” and started stamping the pumpkins on Ranger water color paper using Memento black dye-ink. I learned that I had to stamp the top images first, mask them and stamp the next layer, mask them, and so on. Btw, the pumpkins I used are from Mama Elephant – Meowlloween, Lawn Fawn – Happy Harvest (as are the crows and scare crow), and Winnie & Walter – Moonlight. After I was done, I colored the ground and the sky with Zig Clean Color Real Brush Markers. Brown and Blush for the ground; Yellow, Orange, Carmine Red, Scarlet Red, Violet, and Deep Blue for the sky. Unfortunately, after I used some water to soften the colors, I had red sprinkles all over the image.
After I was done, I removed the masking pen by rubbing over the paper. As you can see, some of the pumpkins stamped through the masking fluid, even though I let it dry before I stamped on it again. I either had a too thin layer or it wasn’t dry enough (How can something get dryer than dry?), or the Molotow Masking Pen doesn’t work on water color paper.
Anyway, I didn’t want to throw this image away, because I already put a lot of work in it and I still liked it. But here I decided to color the scare crow and the pumpkins with Copics, hoping I can cover up some of the splotches. I tried to have the shadows moving with the sunset, so the part of the pumpkin that is facing the sun is lighter than the part away from the sun.
I still wasn’t happy. The darker colors in the sky looked unnatural and I was still able to see all the stamp lines on the pumpkins. I was able to remove some of the darker sky by running the image through my Big Shot using a Lawn Fawn stitched square die, but I guess that I just have to accept the little “buh-buh’s” on the pumpkins.
I think that the Molotow Masking Pen is pretty amazing. I doubt that all the issues I had today are a result of a none working masking fluid. I saw too many videos where it worked perfectly fine. I bet that it had something to do with the amount of fluid I put onto the paper (plus using water color paper instead of regular one).
I also like to add this card to the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Thanks/ Thanksgiving.